The Great Prostate Hoax: How Big Medicine Hijacked the PSA Test and Caused a Public Health Disaster [Kindle Edition]
Author: Richard J. Ablin | Language: English | ISBN: B00HBQ6NY8 | Format: PDF, EPUB
The Great Prostate Hoax: How Big Medicine Hijacked the PSA Test and Caused a Public Health Disaster
Posts about Download The Book The Great Prostate Hoax: How Big Medicine Hijacked the PSA Test and Caused a Public Health Disaster for everyone book 4shared, mediafire, hotfile, and mirror link Every year, more than a million men undergo painful needle biopsies for prostate cancer, and upward of 100,000 have radical prostatectomies, resulting in incontinence and impotence. But the shocking fact is that most of these men would never have died from this common form of cancer, which frequently grows so slowly that it never even leaves the prostate. How did we get to a point where so many unnecessary tests and surgeries are being done? In The Great Prostate Hoax, Richard J. Ablin exposes how a discovery he made in 1970, the prostate-specific antigen (PSA), was co-opted by the pharmaceutical industry into a multibillion-dollar business. He shows how his discovery of PSA was never meant to be used for screening prostate cancer, and yet nonetheless the test was patented and eventurally approved by the FDA in 1994. Now, doctors and victims are beginning to speak out about the harm of the test, and beginning to search for a true prostate cancer-specific marker.
Books with free ebook downloads available The Great Prostate Hoax: How Big Medicine Hijacked the PSA Test and Caused a Public Health Disaster [Kindle Edition]
Posts about Download The Book The Great Prostate Hoax: How Big Medicine Hijacked the PSA Test and Caused a Public Health Disaster for everyone book 4shared, mediafire, hotfile, and mirror link Every year, more than a million men undergo painful needle biopsies for prostate cancer, and upward of 100,000 have radical prostatectomies, resulting in incontinence and impotence. But the shocking fact is that most of these men would never have died from this common form of cancer, which frequently grows so slowly that it never even leaves the prostate. How did we get to a point where so many unnecessary tests and surgeries are being done? In The Great Prostate Hoax, Richard J. Ablin exposes how a discovery he made in 1970, the prostate-specific antigen (PSA), was co-opted by the pharmaceutical industry into a multibillion-dollar business. He shows how his discovery of PSA was never meant to be used for screening prostate cancer, and yet nonetheless the test was patented and eventurally approved by the FDA in 1994. Now, doctors and victims are beginning to speak out about the harm of the test, and beginning to search for a true prostate cancer-specific marker.
Books with free ebook downloads available The Great Prostate Hoax: How Big Medicine Hijacked the PSA Test and Caused a Public Health Disaster [Kindle Edition]
- File Size: 1013 KB
- Print Length: 274 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1137278749
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan Trade (March 4, 2014)
- Sold by: Macmillan
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00HBQ6NY8
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #267,868 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #19 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Professional & Technical > Medical eBooks > Internal Medicine > Urology
- #41 in Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diseases & Physical Ailments > Cancer > Prostate Disease
- #58 in Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Urology
I am 67 years old and just recently developed BPH which my urologist had been treating very well with alfusozin but on every visit he drew blood for testing. On the third visit he claimed that my PSA was up to around 5. This, he told me, could be a precursor to cancer although it was doubtful. He suggested I do an in-office biopsy and that it "is not so bad." Holy moley, it was the most painful thing I have ever endured in my life; said life includes many root canals, self-setting a broken leg in an emergency situation and every usual thing one meets up with. (Not to mention a few days of horrible, bleeding recovery he never even mentioned would happen beforehand). As the book suggests is pretty much the norm on this all-too-useless test it returned a negative. Thank God it didn't do a false positive! Or even a real positive which the book explains is not really anything to base any decision solely upon.
I don't really know my doctor personally. I would like to think that he is as taken-in by the PSA Hoax as are many urologists and not just a greedy (word I can't type here). I know when I see him next I will come with a copy of this book and insist that he stop the PSA screening and just continue to treat my BPH with prescription renewals.
I have to say: I am outraged. I feel personally violated, betrayed and am angry with the entire Big Medicine Show that this book details so well. By the way, this book IS really a top-notch example of scientific reportage and of investigative Journalism. I worked in magazines for thirty years -- consumer level magazines with well over 6 million circulation. I say this because I want to offer it as a credential to help you to believe my judgement of this author's veracity and objectivity is on the mark.
No comments:
Post a Comment